Friday, March 04, 2005

State of the Black Union

Yo I'm watching part of the State of the Black Union on C-Span.org, and I gots ta talk about it. I admit I came to it with a biased view because I'm a bit tired of watching the veteran Black leadership pontificate about the ills of the Black community. Everybody claps and hoots and hollers and then the next day it's like nothing happened.

This time was different.

Well, sort of.

There was a lot of pontification, but there was also some real substance. Minister Farrakhan got open on everyone. EVERYONE. It was like he didn't care what anyone thought. He told the preachers and reverends to stop entertaining the people with religion, and start teaching them. He was like "we need to come up with a covenant between us and the people TODAY." One of the illest parts was when he told everyone to vow to never sell out their people. My favorite part, however, was when he said "to hell with the Democrats!!"

That's what I'm talkin' about.

Oh yeah, and he also suggested that they turn the cameras off, get the scholars and theologians and intellectuals, etc. etc. into a room and put forth a 10 year plan.

That's what I'm talkin' about.

What dissapointed me about the segment was that young folks weren't really represented on stage (the entire thing was an entire day affair).

Anywayz, it was worth it to see Minister Farrakhan get open. Now to check out the next segment...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home