Monday, April 18, 2005

Witness to a Hero




A few weeks ago God bestowed his blessings upon me in allowing me to meet one of the great heroes of the 20th century- Dr. Dorothy I. Height.

I meant to write about it when it happened, but I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to properly articulate this encounter.

Dr. Height has played an enormous role in the re-shaping of American society over the past 70 years or so, working with other human rights leaders such as Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I feel very grateful and very blessed to have met her.

She was at a booksigning, discussing her book Open Wide the Freedom Gates: A Memoir.

I wasn't there for the actual event, I was just in the vicinity doing something else- which is another reason this was such a blessing.

We gotta carry on Dr. Height's legacy. We gotta keep marching, onward and upward.

2 Comments:

Blogger She Weevil said...

Hi. I found your blog because you'd visited mine, so thanks. Your pice on Dr Height inspired me to put a small piece on Mary Seacole, another hero.

4:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing Dr. Height's book with us, Open Wide Freedom's Gates. I will make it my business to pick up a copy! Your site is informative, interesting, and thought provoking. Your writing is inspiring! Please keep it coming!

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home