Sunday, April 10, 2005

Will Smith: Lost and Found

Okay, I've been stalling enough on this Will Smith review. The problem is I'm not too sure what to think of it.

It's obvious listening to this album that the artist formerly known as the Fresh Prince put a lot of heart and sweat into the tracks.

But I do believe that honesty is the best policy...

...and I was dissapointed when I found out "Switch" made the album. Actually I was more dissapointed when I found out that was his lead off single. "Switch" definitely is not one of the better tracks.

"Here He Comes," which samples the theme song from the old Spider-Man cartoon, packs a fierce punch and sets the tone for the album as a serious attempt by Big Will to re-establish himself in the game. I actually raved about the verse he spit on this track in an earlier post, when I thought it was freestyle and over a different beat. To be honest, I think the original beat I heard it on was better, but the Spider-Man flow is still tight.

Smith definitely has a club banger with "Party Starter"- there's plenty of bass to get you hyped and lookin' for someone to dance with. It doesn't really sound that much different from some of the bass filled songs out there (WHAAAT?!), but it has enough of it's own flavor to stand up on it's own.

That kind of brings me to one of the downside of the album- quite a few of the tracks sound eerily similar to songs by other artists, most notably Eminem, 50 Cent, and Jadakiss. "Could U Love Me," for example, closely resembles "21 Questions."

I'm not quite sure if this is intentional or not, as Will Smith may be trying to make a statement as expressed in "Lost and Found." The title track is actually one of my favorites because Will expresses the frustration of so many hip hop heads with the same-old cookie cutter "n*gga, thug, b*tch" records.

Lost and Found may be signaling the era of Adult Rap, a natural evolution of a musical genre as the pioneering generations grow older.

If you're only hooked on G-G-G-G-G-G-G UNIT!, then you might not find this your cup of tea. However if you're a true hip hop head and appreciate hip hop's diversity and maturity, you should definitely pick this up. Likewise if you want some music that sounds like what's out there- but don't want to be afraid to listen to around little kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home